Friday, June 10, 2016

How do you not know her name?


I'm working on cleaning up some Wikitree profiles of distant relations.  There was a death date error on my great great aunt's husband's profile.  At that distance I haven't spent much time working on him.  So I clean up the date and decide to get a little more info.  I find on Ancestry his WWII registration.  I love those since they list a next of kin.  It help a lot when you have someone with a popular name and can match other names to the your tree.  So I look at George's registration.  First thing is why at 62 was he registering, I know losses were bad but really?

Then I look at the line I love so much; Name and address of person who will always know your address.  He puts down wife.  No name, no address, just wife.  I guess it could be worse like Boo Boo Kitty or something but maybe not, her obit might list that.  Just wife, that tells me nothing.  Or it tells me a lot about how things were in the 1940s and how people respected each other.